January 2016

Jan2016_tagsSince my last post was in early January 2015,  I clearly have an issue with maintaining a blog.  So new year, and no new resolutions, but I shall try to participate in the 12 Tags of 2016 project.  Each month, Tim Holtz publishes techniques and posts a topic for the month.  Below is my January 2016 version using the Chalkboard and Industrious Metals techniques.

I am pleased with the photo, but the jury is still out on the tag.  I just couldn’t get that ‘P’ to show up as well as I wanted


Day 5: One Layer Cards

This one uses Lawn Fawn’s Life Is Good stamp and die set. Since I live in Florida, this is more pertinent than snow. We actually use our old snow brushes to brush sand off our feet after a day at the beach!


Next up is a card utilizing masking techniques. Stamps are from Lawn Fawn’s Snow Day and Let It Snow sets. I really love all the small snowflake stamps that I used on the border! I am less pleased with the trees. I think I will try this again with an emboss resist.


Online Card Class Day 4

The focus was watercoloring. I embossed the Hero Arts trees in silver and did the watercolors with Distress Stains. I have no watercolors, but this substitution works beautifully. The background was faint enough that the trees did not show well. So, I rubbed Distress inks to create a more vivid effect. Next, I applied dots of Stickles. Stickles interact with the distress inks which adds more depth. I finished with a Simon Says Merry Christmas die.
(DH says this one looks ‘so good’ that it doesn’t look homemade. I am trying not to be offended!)

Day 2: There are some things you can fix

I spent a lot of time making these ornaments. The goal was to create a card with a detachable ornament.

Mistakes happen.

First, I badly smudged the inside of the card. I decided to cover it up with pine boughs. This was so successful that I did it to each of the four cards that I made.


Well, I was feeling very pleased with my recovery and completed the card.


Rather lovely, I think. Unfortunately, I thought I had used repositionable glue dots. There are some mistakes that you just can’t fix, and those ornaments are stuck permanently to the card.

P.s. The ornament stamps and punch are from Stampin’ Up. I got them last year, so I don’t think they are still available.

Day 1: It Really Does Get Better!


I thought this technique would be very fussy and unforgiving, but it actually wasn’t because there were very good tips for lining up all the various text stamps. I dug through a lot of stamps and found some unloved (virgin) sentiments that really deserved some love.

Next up is my absolute favorite card from the first day.


I tried a more rustic color scheme for the next card and ended up with a more masculine card. I made one major tweak to this one. Instead of using embossing paste, I used an embossing folder. My embossing folders have been very lonely. I dressed this up with some Distress Inks.


Online Card Classes Christmas 2014

I started the Day 1 assignments four days after class began. I thought I could catch up, but the cards have had so many new ideas that I am spending a lot of time exploring variations.

First up:


Ok, I’ll be the first to tell you that I wasn’t really thrilled with the results of this one, but it was a warm up exercise after being away from my studio for nearly a month. It gets better.