Well, I made over 100 cards, 25 gift card carriers and more than a dozen gift bags. I believe I am done with Christmas now, but here is my last holiday card. It uses bits and pieces left over from the holiday creations. On to my next challenge, whatever shall it be?
I started the Day 1 assignments four days after class began. I thought I could catch up, but the cards have had so many new ideas that I am spending a lot of time exploring variations.
Ok, I’ll be the first to tell you that I wasn’t really thrilled with the results of this one, but it was a warm up exercise after being away from my studio for nearly a month. It gets better.
Sometimes the bits and pieces of your recent projects pile up, and it becomes something beautiful. Using a pattern much like the Log Cabin quilt pattern, these were the scraps from four different projects.
This is one of my riffs on creating the illusion of dimension and depth on a single layer card. The one above was a happy accident and was quite different from class instructions. (Sometimes things can go wrong in a good way!)
1. I masked the center rectangle and used to Distress Inks (Picked Raspberry, Fresh Lemonade and Peacock Feathers) Next, I rummaged through my stash and found a stamp of unknown origin. It didn’t stamp as clearly as I wanted, but I wanted to move on to the next step and didn’t bother to re-stamp it. As it happens the washed out effect seems to provide even more depth.
2. I removed the mask and then colorized the frame area with Peacock Feathers. I used larger-scale floral image (also unknown origin) to stamp the corners. Because the scale of this is so much larger it gives the illusion of a distinct fore and back ground. I colored the flowers with Distress Markers.
It’s not perfectly implemented, but conceptually, it works. My perfectionist streak balks at this, but this was a learning example. Perfection can occur when I am not already more than a week behind in class!
Now for my next illusion:
For this one, I once again played with a small scale background and then added a larger image over the top. In this case, the background is an old Hero Arts Asian text image with the Crafters Workshop Mini Bamboo Stencil. I inked the text in Studio Calico Doc Brown ink and then applied various distress inks to the stencil image. I had some beautiful origami papers that were begging to be used and these became the small flags in the upper right corner. I used some alpha stamps in white for the text.
Rules are made to be broken…the final piece is more than one layer!
I am taking the Clean and Simple Cards 3 class over at Online Card Classes, and this technique is layered die cuts. I used the Shell Set dies from Impression Obsession. (DIE077-W), and I used Distress Inks and Markers to colorize the cut outs.
This technique creates a single layer card that appears to have layers. I did add the pearls and gems–the card demanded this! So, it is not exactly a single layer.